Tips for Visiting Hospitals with Children
Here are some suggestions for bringing children along to see hospital patients:
- First note the rules for visiting minors.
- Explain to the child in simple terms, prior to the visit, why the patient is in the hospital.
- Be sure the child is well-behaved and quiet.
- Do not allow the child to wander into any area unattended.
- Do not force the child to physically interact with the patient, for instance hugging or kissing, unless the child is comfortable with it.
- Watch for signs that the child may be getting upset or uncomfortable. If that happens, take a walk, and get some fresh air. Let kids know that hospitals can be difficult places for many people and that this kind of a reaction is normal.