Tips for Hospital Visits
There are certain practices that are important to keep in mind when visiting someone in the hospital.
Here are some tips for a positive visit:
- On your way to the patient's room, stop by the nurses' station and ask if it is alright to proceed to the patient's room
- First and foremost, be yourself! (Even though you may not be used to seeing this person in a medical environment, the patient will want you to interact with him or her the way you usually would)
- Stay upbeat, if you're bringing news from the outside world, keep it positive
- Always knock at a closed door, and if a health care professional comes into the room while you are visiting, ask if you should step out to give the patient privacy
- If you have to use a restroom, go to a public one on the premises (Don't presume to use the patient's bathroom)