Children’s Birthday Party Etiquette
- Keep the guest list a reasonable number. The rule of thumb is one guest for each year of your child’s age, plus one.
- Don’t distribute invitations at day care or preschool unless everyone gets one. Prevent hurt feelings by calling or mailing invitations instead.
- Have plenty of adult help on hand. Even as they approach age six, preschoolers need lots of watchful, if subtle, supervision.
- Expect your young host or hostess to greet guests. They should also learn to say “Thank you” for gifts and “Good bye” to everyone.
- Plan lots of activities, even if you don’t do them all. Make sure the games leave everyone feeling like a winner. And be flexible – kids need some free play time, too. Alternating planned activities with free play usually works well.