Lizzie's Chicken Soup with Rice Recipe
Who says comfort food can't be just a little gourmet, too?
Herbed chicken and basmati rice take this traditional soup there.
For the Rice:
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
For the Soup:
- 12 cups chicken broth (if using water and bouillon I do 16 cups water and 10 bouillon cubes)
- 4 chicken breasts – skinned and deboned
- 2 large carrots cut in half
- 1 large yellow onion – cut in quarters
- 2 ribs celery – washed but whole
- ½ medium lime
- 1 tbsp dried or fresh tarragon
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Set the two cups of brown basmati rice with 1 tbsp of unsalted butter into a pot with just under 4 cups of water (between 3 ¾ and 4 cups water). Cover, bring to a boil, boil for 2 minutes and turn down to simmer or low – keep covered. Cook until rice is fluffy (about 45)
- Place the water & bouillon cubes or stock or broth into a large soup pot, add the carrots, onion and celery and bring to a boil.
- While boiling the broth, rub the chicken with ½ Tbsp of Tarragon and ¼ tsp of thyme as well as some salt and black pepper (crushed).
- After boiling the broth for 5 minutes, add the chicken breasts whole. And cook until tender (15-20 minutes).
- Remove the chicken breast, onion, celery and carrot. Reduce heat to simmer. Cut all into bite sized pieces. (You can discard the celery if you wish.) Return chicken, onion and carrot to the pot with ½ Tbsp of tarragon, ¼ tsp of thyme and the half lime as well (the whole thing right in!).
- Allow to simmer until rice is done. You can remove the lime after 15 minutes or so depending on how much acidity you like. The lime may give the soup a slightly green color -- you can avoid this by not keeping it in as long, or by using just the juices. You could also substitute ½ a lemon.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over ¼ - ½ cup of the rice and enjoy!