Too much buttercream is sometimes too much of a good thing...
That's why we like this formula, which produces a restrained amount of buttercream that fills neatly but does not overwhelm a delicate feather cake. Makes enough to fill a 9-inch cake.
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- Pinch of salt
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the whipping cream and brandy. Taste. Beat in a pinch of salt, if needed.
- Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Return to room temperature before using.
From Great Get-Togethers: Casual Gatherings and Elegant Parties at Home by Anna Post and Lizzie Post